The Springville-Griffith Institute Central School District is pleased to announce that Mrs. Kathy Townsend was appointed to the new position of principal for special programs at the 7/5/16 BOE meeting.
Mrs. Townsend has been the Colden Elementary Principal since July 2011 and has worked as an administrator in the district since 2007. Kathy’s position will be one of new program development and working to support programs throughout the district in collaboration with other administrators. She brings a great deal of experience with a proven track record as someone who can get things done. New program development requires careful analysis, research and planning for successful implementation–these are all strengths of Mrs. Townsend.
Following are the responsibilities Mrs. Townsend is assuming within this position and the expected timeline for implementation:
- Development of an in district program for in-school- suspension, out-of-school suspension and an alternative education program. (2016-17 and beyond) I anticipate an in district ISS/OSS program will be in place within the 2016-17 school year while an alternative education program will take more time to develop.
- Coordination of the K-12 AIS Program (2016-17) including interim formative assessments, grade level data team meetings with building principals, and AIMSweb testing three times annually.
- Universal Pre-Kindergarten (2017-18 and beyond) Currently only 60 SGI students receive UPK through our collaboration with the Early Bird Learning Center. We are interested in the expansion of this program to serve more of our children. There are multiple funding streams for UPK. We are excited to have a dedicated administrator who can apply for funding, research, plan and implement programs for our children in these critical years of their development and learning.
- Conduct unannounced teacher evaluations as an independent observer district wide. (2016-17)
- Oversight and supervision of home/school tutoring of students on medical leave or due to suspensions. This will include hiring tutors with BOE approval, working with the families/tutors for scheduling, tutoring logs and timesheets. (2016-17)
- Home School Liaison working with our Homeschool families to review Individualized Home Instruction Plans and quarterly reports. (2016-17)
- Development and implementation of Green Ribbon School initiatives. (2016-17 and beyond)
- District Homeless Liaison. (2016-17)
- District Safety Committee Chairperson including the development, maintenance and oversight of the district Safety Committee and safety plans. (2016-17)
- District Wellness Committee Chairperson including annual review of the district’s wellness policy and committee meetings as necessary. (2016-17)
The above are duties and responsibilities, primarily #s 1-3, that require a dedicated administrator to make happen to our fullest advantage as a District. They are needs within the District that we have identified we have not previously focused on sufficiently. I am excited to work with Mrs. Townsend as she makes a significant difference for the children of the SGI school district through this position. Congratulations Mrs. Townsend!